The Federman Block Building, seen below, was built in the late 1880s by Samuel and Charles Federman, Jewish immigrants from Poland who made their way out west and eventually settled in Anaheim. The two-story brick commercial building, with its prominent turret and corner location, was a symbol of success for the two brothers and a clear indicator of their standing in the community. Samuel met Libby Mendelson, sister of fellow Jewish businessmen Morris and Max, and the two were married in 1880; their daughter Sara was born in Anaheim in 1885. When Sara was six the family moved to Los Angeles, and Charles took over the business, running it for many more years and continuing to advertise the store as “THE PLACE FOR GOOD SHOES.”
Dalia Taft is the archivist of the Orange County Jewish Historical Society of Jewish Federation Orange County and highlights images from the Society’s archives every month. For more information, please visit www.jewishorangecounty.org/historical. You can also contact Dalia at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (949) 435-3484, ext. 296.