Makes about 5 dozen
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup low-sodium canned chicken stock, plus more for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, yeast, and salt; set aside
2. Place oil in a large bowl. Add stock and flour mixture in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with stock. Mix well.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to about 3/8-inch thick. Shape biscuits using a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter or by cutting around a store-bought dog bone with a butter knife. (Make biscuits that are appropriate for your dog’s size.)
4. If desired, you can spell out your dog’s name or a message in the dough with a toothpick (wet the toothpick first so it won’t stick).
5. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Bake biscuits 10 minutes. Brush with stock; rotate baking sheets, and bake 10 minutes more. Turn off oven, leaving door closed. Let dog biscuits stand in oven to dry completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Wrap as a gift, or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you don’t feel like baking at all, buy a box of your dog’s favorite treats and simply dip them into dog treat icing in any color you like (we like white and blue colors). Fido’s Frosting brand Royal Icing for Dogs will dry hard and shiny and does not require refrigeration.